Welcome to Myslajek Kemp & Spencer, Ltd.

Frequently Asked Questions

Myslajek Kemp & Spencer, Ltd. is committed to delivering innovative solutions and the highest level of client satisfaction. We provide comprehensive accounting and tax services ranging from basic tax preparation and compilations to adept advising on the complexities of tax compliance law and audits. Blending accuracy and insight with two decades of industry experience, our wide range of tailored services expertly address personal tax and business strategies.


To learn more about Myslajek Kemp & Spencer, Ltd. click on the "About MKS" tab at the top of this page.


Thank you for coming here today, we truly appreciate your business.

  • What is the deadline for filing my 2018 income tax return?

    The deadline for filing your income tax returns varies depending on which form you need to file.

    • S-Corporations: March 15th, 2019 or September 16th, 2019 with an extension.1
    • 1065-Partnerships: March 15th, 2019 or September 16th, 2019 with an extension.1
    • 1040-Individuals: April 17th, 2019 or October 15th, 2019 with an extension.1
      • People have until Tuesday, April 15th, 2019 to file their 2018 returns and pay any taxes due.
        • The deadline is later this year due to several factors. The usual April 15th deadline falls on Sunday this year, which would normally give taxpayers until at least the following Monday. However, Emancipation Day, a D.C. holiday, is observed on Monday, April 15th, giving taxpayers nationwide an additional day to file. By law, D.C. holidays impact tax deadlines for everyone in the same way federal holidays do.
    • 1120-Corporations: April 17th, 2019 or October 15th, 2019 with an extension.1
    • Any Other Forms:
      For more deadlines and due dates, take a look at the IRS calendar on our Resources page. [link]


    1Filing an extension does not extend the time alloted to pay any due taxes. If you owe tax, it must be paid by the initial due date to avoid any penalty and/or interest

  • Where is my refund?

    Both the IRS and State of Minnesota have helpful links on their respective websites to check on the status of your refund:


  • How would you like me to send my documents to you?

    We try to make sending us your documentation as easy as possible by offering a wide variety of options for getting your information to us:

    1. Email your tax preparer with the documents as an attachment.
      1. Find your tax preparer on our Company Directory
      2. You can also email the documents to TaxInfo@Myslajek.com
    2. Upload the documents to our Hightail account using this link:
      1. Mail your originals or copies to us at:
        1. Myslajek Kemp & Spencer, Ltd.
          ATTN: [Your tax preparer's name]
          1000 Shelard Parkway, 6th Floor
          Saint Louis Park, MN 55426
    3. Come into the office and drop the originals off.


  • How can I make an appointment?

    Please give our front desk a call at 952-544-4147 and they will coordinate scheduling an appointment with your tax preparer.

  • How long do I need to keep my backup documentation for?

    According to the IRS:

    "The length of time you should keep a document depends on the action, expense, or event which the document records. Generally, you must keep your records that support an item of income, deduction or credit shown on your tax return until the period of limitations for that tax return runs out.

    The period of limitations is the period of time in which you can amend your tax return to claim a credit or refund, or the IRS can assess additional tax. The information below reflects the periods of limitations that apply to income tax returns. Unless otherwise stated, the years refer to the period after the return was filed. Returns filed before the due date are treated as filed on the due date.

    Note: Keep copies of your filed tax returns. They help in preparing future tax returns and making computations if you file an amended return.

    Period of Limitations that apply to income tax returns

    1. Keep records for 3 years if situations (4), (5), and (6) below do not apply to you.
    2. Keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, if you file a claim for credit or refund after you file your return.
    3. Keep records for 7 years if you file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction.
    4. Keep records for 6 years if you do not report income that you should report, and it is more than 25% of the gross income shown on your return.
    5. Keep records indefinitely if you do not file a return.
    6. Keep records indefinitely if you file a fraudulent return.
    7. Keep employment tax records for at least 4 years after the date that the tax becomes due or is paid, whichever is later.


    The following questions should be applied to each record as you decide whether to keep a document or throw it away.


    Are the records connected to property?

    • Generally, keep records relating to property until the period of limitations expires for the year in which you dispose of the property. You must keep these records to figure any depreciation, amortization, or depletion deduction and to figure the gain or loss when you sell or otherwise dispose of the property.
    • If you received property in a nontaxable exchange, your basis in that property is the same as the basis of the property you gave up, increased by any money you paid. You must keep the records on the old property, as well as on the new property, until the period of limitations expires for the year in which you dispose of the new property.


    What should I do with my records for non-tax purposes?

    • When your records are no longer needed for tax purposes, do not discard them until you check to see if you have to keep them longer for other purposes. For example, your insurance company or creditors may require you to keep them longer than the IRS does.

    Source: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-long-should-i-keep-records

  • I got a letter from the IRS (or another taxing authority)... what do I need to do?

    Please drop off or e-mail a copy of the letter (both front and back sides) to your tax preparer as soon as you can.

  • What methods do you have for me to pay my invoice?

    You have the following options for paying your invoice:

    • By Phone: You can call the front desk to pay with a credit card at (952) 544-4147.
    • By Mail or In-Person: You can stop by or mail a check to us at:
      Myslajek Kemp & Spencer, Ltd.
      1000 Shelard Parkway, 6th Floor
      Saint Louis Park, MN 55426
    • Online: Click here for our on-line payment form.



Saint Louis Park, MN

1000 Shelard Parkway, 6th Floor

Saint Louis Park, MN 55426-4922

Phone: (952) 544-4147

Fax: (952) 544-2628

Cambridge, MN

119 Adams Street S

Cambridge, MN 55008-1620

Phone: (763) 689-9674

Fax: (763) 689-6635